Whilst watching Nigel Slater’s Simple Cooking this week (well it was last weeks I’m a bit behind thank goodness for Sky+) I sat up in my seat to really take note of his Black Pudding Recipe. What I great idea I thought definately going on the blog and definately going to try it this weekend, so that’s my Saturday supper sorted. So here it is:
For the roll:
- 1 onion
- 30g/1oz butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs of thyme, picked
- 1 sauasge-style black puddings/Real Lancashire Black Pudding Chub cut in half
- 250g/9oz ready made puff pastry block/sheet
- 1 egg, beaten
For the sauce:
- 100ml of single cream
- 2-3 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 2-3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp chopped Parsley
- Preheat your oven to 200C/400f/Gas 6.
- Chop the onion and cook in the pan with the butter, thyme and a bay leaf on a very low heat for 15-20mins so caramelises and develops a lovely sweet flavour.
- Roll out your puff pastry to about 1/4in thick on a floured surface or like I will be doing use a ready rolled sheet of puff pastry. Lay some of the onions in the centre of the pastry about the same size and shape of the black pudding, then place the black pudding on top, then top with the rest of the onions.
- Egg wash the edges and fold over the pastry and crimp to form a seal. Then pop into the oven for 20 mins.
- To prepare the sauce heat up the cream in a saucepan and little by little add both mustards tasting as you go to make it just as you like, finish off with chopped parsley and drizzle over the Black Pudding Sausage Roll.
This sounds simple and delicious to me I will let you know how it went next week!
Why not give this go it’s a simple a quick recipe using a lovely traditional British ingredient, as Nigel said on the show ‘If you’ve never tried black pudding or you want to persuade someone to give it ago, this fantastic dish is a great place to start..’
So what are you waiting for?!